School Wide Positive Behaviour Support (SWPBS)
SWPBS is a systems approach for establishing the social, cultural and individualised supports needed for all students to achieve both social and academic success. It is a way to support everyone to create the kinds of schools where all students are successful and included.
The purpose of SWPBS is to help you and your school select and identify the effective, efficient, and evidence-based things you can do to support all students to experience success. SWPBS enables you to organise those practices into a continuum; from universal support for all students through to intensive, targeted support for those who need it.
Evidence-based features of SWPBS include:
- defining and teaching positive social expectations
- acknowledging positive behaviour
- arranging consistent responses to challenging behaviour
- maintaining ongoing collection and use of data for decision-making
- establishing a continuum of interventions
- utilising team-based implementation (systems that support effective practices).